Sunday, April 27, 2008

Banana Bread Receipe From Mom

Banana Bread has got to be the best quick bread out there. I have sampled so many versions of the receipe and compare all of them to mom's. No one beats her receipe and I am so thankful I have it to give me the "smell memory" of the home when she was there making the bread. One thing I like about this receipe is it only takes one bowl - you add everything in this order and mix as you go. I have tried it in a bowl with a spoon and in a mixer and there really is no difference. I have tried to add more bananas thinking that more is better - nope, the breads came out flat and I don't even sift the flour. Enjoy - and thanks Betty Bennett.

1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 cup bananas (3-4)
1 3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/3 cup water
350 degrees for
1 hour if in one loaf pans
50 minutes if small loaf stoneware (picture)

4 comments:

Sue Aasland Nance and Terry Nance said...

That sounds great. I love the spices that are used and no nuts as the kids do not like nuts in banana bread. I need to try and make some soon.

Dana said...

and of course, I sometimes add chocolate chips.

Sue Aasland Nance and Terry Nance said...

You just know how to make it over the top. I hope your snow is almost gone again. I see you have warmer weather today.

SD said...

Yum! I'm trying it!! Thanks!