Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Time Heals














...but at a snails pace. He would be 74 today, but 13 years and 2 days ago I held his hand and had to say goodbye. This is Dad and as a pilot he showed us the world and on the homefront made sure we had memories of camping, life lessons, and the ever remembered "this meal I cooked would cost you $39 in Frankfurt." I see his eyes in Seth's and every once in awhile Seth picks up an airplane to fly around the room. That's how I know Dad is not too far away.


High Flight
Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of Sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of -- wheeled and soared and
swung High in the sunlit silence
Hov'ring There
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air
Up,up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the windswept heights with
easy grace
Where never lark,
or even eagle flew
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
the high untresspassed sancity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God
--- John Gillespie Magee Jr.


3 comments:

won tong said...

That is truly truley a kleenex bawling awesome tribute to your father. God bless I am Kamie & Jeremys outlaw mom! The granny to be. Love your site...

Unknown said...

Not a day goes by where I don't think of them. 13 years and it still feels like yesterday. Sitting in his room, holding his hand, watching him take his last breath... changed our lives forever.

Grateful I am, to have have spent my first 16 year with such good people as our parents. Without them giving us our experiences in life, I don't know where I would be.

Thank you for being our Dad, We know you are proud of us. We Miss you. We Love you!

Jeremy and Kamie said...

Dana, what a great poem. I understand where you are coming from - it will be 14 years on Oct. 30 when our mom died. Yet, it seems like yesterday. Your dad lives on in you and in Seth! And he is always watching!