Saturday, September 8, 2007

Survivorman

I am hooked on these two shows. One is Survivorman on The Science Channel and the other is In The Wild with a host called Bear on the National Geographic Channel. These 2 men purposely plant themselves out in nowhere and show you how to survive for days in the desert, everglades, on glaciers, mountains, and even the ocean. They show you how to find or make water (even from your own urine), how to trap using things around you, what to look for on snakes to know if they are harmless - but now I have forgotten if its yellow on red is dead or red on yellow I am your fellow - something like that. I did learn that in a tidepool you can find snails and if the water that runs out of the shell is clear you can have a snack, if it is not it can kill you in a day. Today, Survivorman was in the Sonoran Desert and showed how you could get a thread and needle from a cactus. He also found a cactus fruit that tastes like a strawberry Kiwi mix. To hide from a desert wild boar, you need to climb a tree because they cannot look up. And they say TV is bad.

2 comments:

. said...

Wow...well, if I'm ever stranded in such a remote place, then I hope you're WITH me! My only question is why would you need to make a needle and thread out of a cactus? That strawberry kiwi drink sounds like a party, though!

Dana said...

I suppose we could hang the solar powered party lights on the thread. Last night Survivorman was in coastal Alaska - he gets around.