Saturday, July 5, 2008

Da Balls

I got this receipe from Bakerella, (january 2008) she calls them oreo truffles. I have made them 2 times now and they are delicious so I am sharing the receipe here and a few things I learned.

1 package of oreos

1 block of cream cheese at room temp

1 bag of white chocolate candy melts


In a food processor or ziploc bag, crush the full oreo cookie

Mix in the cream cheese with the cookie crumbs

till it is like a cookie dough consistency (best to use a mixer vs a spoon)

roll into balls and put into freezer for at least 1 hour

Melt the candy melts and dip the balls into the chocolate and then

onto a cookie sheet to cool.

A few things I learned:

1. Bakerella uses chocolate bark, but here in Anchorage that is a seasonal item and so I had to use the candy melts - I will be stocking up on bark this next holiday.

2. If you want to add color to the balls, like I did for Memorial day (blue & red) the food coloring clumps up the candy melt chocolate and ruins it - best to just buy the colored melts.

3. Using nutter butters are just as yummy

4. Making small balls gives those watching their "treats" an option, plus they are a bit easier to dip in the chocolate.

5. My friend Gary would not eat the "blue balls"

6. I still need to work on my dipping skills as Bakerella's versions are so well done, but they taste the same.

7. Best to sample at any stage of creation for testing purposes of course.

0 comments: