Sunday, June 15, 2008

Dad's Day


Things I remember my Dad doing:
* putting a warm towel over my chest with Vicks when I was sick.
* when I caught my first fish, he held on to me while I brought it in so I would not get pulled into the Russian River by a fish that was stronger then me.

* Always brought some treat back from wherever Japan Airlines sent him.
* gave me my first credit card with advice to pay it off each month.

* showed me how to not coast the subaru when coming to a stop, because he told my older sister to do that and she failed her drivers test because of it, I however, did not.
* had me practice parallel parking with the subaru between a just bought car and the vintage 1966 Mustang - yeah, no pressure there.
* advised me to plead guilty to the judge for excessive speeding, accept the probation sentence on my licence, thank the judge and proceeded to pay my ticket. I was so ashamed I grounded myself (but that did not last long because he said going in front of a judge was a lesson well learned). I can still hear the judge telling me to get the lead out of my foot.

*telling clean jokes at the dinner table and laughing louder then anyone.

* giving advice that when you give money to friends or family - do it knowing you will never see it paid back, but if you do get repaid - don't look surprised.

* Told everyone to get into the camper because there is a bear coming to our campsite and then running to get the video camera and staying outside to get the footage.

* he tried to teach me about stocks - I still don't get it.
* writing left handed, but golfing right handed.
* told us, actually warned us, not to laugh at Scooter, our cocker spaniel, who had just received his 1st summer cut and he could tell Scooter was humiliated - "Dogs have feelings, you know".

* I remember when this picture was taken - a few days after my sister graduated from UOP we went to Mexico as a family. Dad and I went on this horse trail ride up in the hills.
Great day, great memory, favorite picture of us.

I think, no, I know my dad would have liked, approved, been buddies with my husband. They have much of the same qualities and I have heard that you tend to marry someone who is much like your father - they like to build things and use tools or just buy them in case you need to use them, they have a great sense of humor and are pretty firmly opinionated. I give thanks to Glen and Thelma (and all of the 5 older sisters too) for raising such an incredible person. Seth is learning how to be a good guy from his example and Sydney will know exactly what qualities to look for in a guy.

0 comments: