Monday, May 18, 2009

A great day for a triathlon

Swimsuit (check), goggles (check), awesome borrowed roadbike (check), water (check), shoes & socks (check), bagel and peanut butter (check), bib number 818 (check), anxious (check), listen to "I run for life" one more time for motivation (check), powerade gel bites (check), and Starbucks dark chocolate with espresso treats (check) - gotta have the right fuel.
It was my third one and I was not really nervous - well, until I was asked "ready to go?" , but with a thumbs up the day began. The heart was pumping, the swim stroke was strong and my breathing fast - but wait I caught up to the swimmer in front of me and had to pass - progress already. Then 2 more and then the I hear "last lap, great job" then the stairs to get out of the pool (thank goodness because my arms felt like wet noodles) leg one done. Running, barefooted as I tore off my swim cap and goggles like a seasoned pro I ran past strangers saying "go 818" - people who have been though the self induced misery understand what its like and are willing to give support to anyone starting off. Its great!

Arrived at my bike station and hurridly put my shoes and socks on - no getting outta my swim stuff this year, strapped on the helmet and headed to the bike course - oh, the hills of Birchwood Loop. I got passed by a mountain biker - drats - but as I watched her go by I realized she was channelling the strength of Wolverine - me not. Oh, a down hill and me the speed lover, tucked on my handle bars and rode it out. No brakes for this gal. Then the hill - yikes, failure - had to get off and walk it but that stretched my legs out for the last 2 hills and those I powered though - i think the gel bites had finally kicked in. I turned into the finish bike shoot pedaling to the dismount area and got off the bike - oh, were those tree trunks or my burning quads. I had to look down to make sure. 2nd leg done.

Off goes the helmet, bike back in the stand and onto the run - well actually jog/power walk - this girl hates to run. As runners were returning to the start you could see the smiles on their face and an encouraging comment to keep on - you are almost there. A 14 yr old and I traded jog and speed walk intervals - I would pass her she would pass me - until at the end she won out and crossed the finish line before me - but thats okay - she had a lower number then me which tells me overall I beat her out. HA! Triathlon done!!!!!

Then I came home and had this for dinner - yum Dutch Harbor Crab

4 comments:

Sue Aasland Nance and Terry Nance said...

OMG-I love your re-fueling. What a perfect meal.

cherishjord said...

That is spectacular!!! Great job. I am awful jealous. I've always wanted to do a triathlon, but I've always been too chicken too. Good on ya!

Dana said...

Thanks, and it is something that anyone can do - I only got busy training for it in Feb. and even then not that intense. Its so doable.

Loi said...

You are my hero! How did you ever get over the initial fear of trying it for the first time?

HUGE kudos to you!