Monday, May 17, 2010

2010 Gold Nugget Triathlon

So April 1st comes around the corner and its in me to sign up for the Gold Nugget Triathlon. This would be my 5th one and the 5th different course and distances - so have I improved, who knows. I just have to remind myself that finishing it is the goal. All those good intentions and then life gets in the way and you think I have a month I better start training. Then the day comes and its sorta like doing your college finals - you've prepared as best you can with the time you have now just do it. So I do. This year I had several friends do it for the first time - we call them newbies and they were not alone - there were 547 of them!!!!








The Sea of Bikes

I remember my first triathlon, they had all the bikes stored in the tennis court and locked them up - that was when there were only 700 people, this year there were over 1500 and the bikes went on forever. I got to watch the first lady in and the last lady and each gave me goosebumps.


The swim was long and the arms were noodles, the bike had a head wind one way and a cross wind the other (thats no fun) and the run was difficult to do because my feet were numb and my legs felt like redwood tree trunks till about 1.5 miles into it.


and next year I will do it all over again.

3 comments:

. said...

AH! I've wanted to do a triathalon for a while now, but I'm scared.

PS: did you know that I can't swim? Well, I can technically keep my head out of the water and progress forward, but I can't blow air out of my nose when I'm under the water. I've tried my whole life.

Anyway...
Good for you! You're a great example and I am impressed. Hmm...maybe I should tag along with you next year. Maybe? (Ooooh...butterflies!)

Dana said...

Yes Yes and yes. Its a sprint triathlon so its sooooo doable. I dont breathe out of my nose, I blow air out of my mouth and then gasp when I do my head turn- so maybe Ive got the wrong technique. Put it on your calender for next year - 3rd sunday in may!!!! Longest running all womens sprint tri in the nation!!!! room for one more.

Sarah Boisen said...

Ah the Gold Nugget, wish I was there to do it too!! Looks like you kicked some butt!